The Synaesthesia Magazine team are proud to announce our very first short story competition!
We have had a fantastic first year at Synaesthesia Magazine. It makes us so proud to see our readership growing and our contributions increasing, so what better way to end the year than to give you all the opportunity to take part in our very first competition?
15 November 2013
7 January 2014
For this exciting leap into 2014, we’re lucky enough to have Adam Marek, award-winning short story writer of two fantastic collections, Instruction Manual for Swallowing and The Stone Thrower, as our guest judge.
Here are the delicious prizes we have lined up for our winner and runner-up:
£60 Amazon voucher
2 x books courtesy of Comma Press
Publication in Synaesthesia Magazine‘s February 2014 issue
Winner’s interview in Synaesthesia Magazine‘s February 2014 issue
1 book courtesy of Comma Press
Publication in Synaesthesia Magazine‘s April 2014 issue
All submissions will be judged anonymously, with our top stories read and judged by Adam Marek!
The rules are simple, but please read them carefully:
- Only one (1) submission per person
- Word limit up to 2,500 words maximum
- Entries must be in English
- Entries must be previously unpublished
- All short stories must be in .doc, .docx or .pdf format, with Name of Entrant, Story Title as the file name
- All entries must be sent via email (as an attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line of email to include: Name of Entrant, Story Title, Short Story Competition
- Body of email must include author’s name, email address and PayPal address. Entries must be paid via our blog
- No corrections can be made after submission, nor fees refunded
- There is no set theme
- The competition is open to all; it is not restricted to UK residents only.
As we run the magazine entirely on love and coppers from our piggy banks, for this competition there is a small entry fee (£4.00) which is available to pay via PayPal only.
If your entry fee has been successfully processed, each entry will be accepted, but unfortunately we cannot reply to each and every email (as much as we’d like to!). A shortlist will be published on our blog in January 2014 and sent to all entrants. The winner and runner-up will be notified by email, and asked for their address for the prizes to be sent to.
About our guest judge:
Adam Marek won the 2011 Arts Foundation Short Story Fellowship, and was shortlisted for the inaugural Sunday Times EFG Short Story Award. His first story collection Instruction Manual for Swallowing was nominated for the Frank O’Connor Prize. His stories have appeared in many magazines, including: Prospect and The Sunday Times Magazine, and in many anthologies including Lemistry, Litmus and The New Uncanny from Comma Press, The New Hero from Stoneskin Press, andThe Best British Short Stories 2011. His second story collection is entitled The Stone Thrower.
Find us on Facebook and Instagram!